MINUTES OF A MEETING HELD AT THE RAILWAYMAN’S SHED 29 Macquarie St ON WEDNESDAY 20th April 2016
Meeting opened at 7.00pm
COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT:
Ben Pritchard (President); Ken Hoy (Secretary); Michael Fritschi (Treasurer); Michael Hawke; Alex Chaudhuri; Cameron Perkins; Roger Armfield
APOLOGIES: Fiona Hawkins
28 residents, members and committee members were present.
PREVIOUS MINUTES: Accepted.
The president, on behalf of the committee and members, congratulated Cr Vicky Howard on her re-election to the Central Ward.
With regard to the “Guerilla Gardeners” project, Cameron Perkins drew the meeting’s attention to the ‘gardening’ being carried out across from the Shed on the corner of Hastings and Macquarie Streets.
Correspondence & Media
- A paper regarding a proposed Queensland Bill of Rights was received calling for input from the TPA. The president will respond.
- Local residents received a flier regarding Anzac Day events and their location(s) and timings.
Pets on Ferries
- The TPA continues to agitate for at least a trial period where pets are permitted on the Cross River (mono hull) ferries. This will be heavily canvassed at the upcoming Teneriffe Festival. Straw polls of ferryboat captains has found all in favour and are of the opinion that this is a Council matter rather than Translink who (they say) do not control policy.
Former Engine Room
- The president called on Cameron Perkins to remind the members of the history behind the Engine Room and the approved DA, which awaits council implementation. (The TPA remains opposed to commercial redevelopment of the site.) Cameron was tasked with producing alternative solutions to that of a restaurant in the park.
- Before opening this up for discussion he outlined his proposal to ‘deconstruct’ the building, retaining the internal heritage concrete plinth on which the refrigeration compressor once stood. This would result in 100 square metres of additional (shaded) parkland as opposed to losing a gross footprint of 170 square metres if the restaurant was to proceed.
- Discussion from the floor offered further alternatives from use as a public gymnasium to the bulldozing of the entire structure and all ideas will be offered to the public for their say at the Teneriffe Festival.
- Details and drawings of Cameron’s proposed ‘deconstruction’ will be posted on our Facebook page. Members are encouraged to post ideas and comments on the Facebook page.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Anzac Day Service
- The meeting was reminded of the service in Teneriffe Park
- Riverside Marine DA comments in by mid-July
- Ms. Jillian Kingsford-Smith was invited to address the meeting as president of the Teneriffe Festival committee. She reminded the members that she is open to any input via her email address email@example.com She also advised that there will be an open forum meeting, held at the TPA Shed, on the evening of 9 May for community comment. Attendees will include the Queensland Police, Cr Howard, and the Festival Organising Committee. TPA members are invited to attend and contribute ideas and suggestions for the Festival.
The meeting was closed at 8.00pm.
Next Meeting: Wednesday 18 May 2016. 7pm Railwayman’s Shed, 29 Macquarie St, Teneriffe.
Find TPA on Facebook by searching for either Teneriffe Progress Association or Friends of Florence Street